You can feel better, function better, live longer and work better if you're physically active. And it can be a lot of fun!
If you get in good physical shape you'll be able to do things you didn't think you could do and feel good about it. You'll add a new peer group of friends with similar interests. You'll feel better in general and think more clearly. There's even research that shows vigorous physical exercise promotes nerve growth in your brain. So exercise builds strong bodies and strong brains.
Among endurance athletes, the diseases of our pathologically sedentary population – obesity, diabetes, heart disease, strokes, muscle and joint pain, and many others – are practically unknown. Wouldn't you like to join that group? So, Tucson Medical Center encourages you to Choose Well, and that includes incorporating regular physical activity into your daily regime. Start with what is right for you and your level of fitness. And increase your activity over time as you work toward real goals.
We have found the best goals are ones we do with others, so we seek out organized runs and walks that bring the community together. That is why Tucson Medical Center sponsors so many community walking and running events. Because, in many ways, we believe that coming together as a community to celebrate our accomplishment is as important as the exercise benefit of the event itself. What do you need to get started?
- Clearance from your physician
- A good pair of properly fitted running/walking shoes
- A plan and a goal
- Patience when first trying to get in good physical shape
- And, if you can arrange it, some friends to help get you there.
TMC can help!
- First, if you don’t have a primary care physician, please call Saguaro Physicians 324-4SPG today to find one who is right for you. It’s important that your physician is part of your health and wellness plan.
- There are numerous retail outlets across Southern Arizona who can help you find the shoe that is the correct fit for you. We will include regular articles that should help you begin/continue a run/walk fitness regimen without doing harm to your feet and knees.
- TMC sponsors numerous runs and walks. We will list those here with advice from each event’s Race Directors as to how to best approach training for each race. Once you have selected your goal event, there are numerous training plans online that can guide you through training for a 5K, a 10K, a half marathon and more.
- Do you need some nutritional advice to help you achieve your goal? Use our “Ask A Dietician” function and we will do our best to answer your questions. If more indepth nutritional counseling is needed, call 324-2075 and we will connect you with a registered dietician who can help develop a plan that is right for you.
Upcoming Races and Events
TMC is proud to sponsor runs/walks across Tucson put on by Southern Arizona Roadrunners, Everyone Runs and Bluepants Racing. Meet Me At Maynards One regular event that folks from TMC love to join as often as possible is the regular Monday evening run/walk downtown known as Meet Me at Maynards. This is a great way to get out with friends, support downtown and knock off your first run of the week! Visit www.meetmeatmaynards.com for more details.
- Southern Arizona Roadrunners Series
- Everyone Runs/Everyone Walks
- The Tucson Medical Center Mount Lemmon Marathon