TMC Firsts 1948-1968

1926 - 1942   |   1948 - 1968   |   1969 - 1989   |   1990 - 1999   |   2000 - current

TMC 1948 - 1968

  • First polio ward in Southern Arizona, designated as a diagnostic and treatment facility. (1948)
  • First Tucson Cancer Clinic. (1948)
  • First electroencephalograph (EEG) in Tucson. (1950)
  • First in the West to start an IV therapy program. (1950)
  • First school of Medical Technology in Tucson. (1950)
  • First Bennett Valve machine in Arizona (the 13th manufactured in the U.S.) for treatment of chronic respiratory disease. (1954)
  • First poison control center in Southern Arizona. (1957)
  • First hospital in Arizona to have a helicopter landing pad. (1959)
  • First known use of single-story "H-style" unit design so future additions could be made easily. (1959)
  • First complete Isotope Laboratory in Tucson. (1959)
  • First ultra-sonic instrument cleaner in Arizona, purchased for the OR by TMC Auxiliary. (1959)
  • First in Tucson with a neurosurgery unit. (1960)
  • First in Tucson to form a committee to train nurses on new developments in medicine. (1960)
  • First Retrograde Aortograph procedure in Tucson, and possibly the first in Arizona. (1961)
  • First Cardiac Resources Survey of its kind in Arizona. (1961)
  • First in the nation to have a hospital Medical Electronics department. (1961)
  • First in Arizona to offer complete pharmacy coverage 24 hours a day, seven days a week. (1962)
  • First in Tucson to have a virus laboratory. (1962)
  • First in Arizona to sign agreements with nursing homes to provide continuity of care. (1963)
  • First in Arizona to use Ekoline 20 in ICU to aid in diagnosis throughout the hospital. (1964)
  • First in Tucson to give prenatal blood transfusion to mother of unborn RH negative baby. (1965)
  • First in Tucson to qualify for Medicare program. (1965)
  • First in the west to own an Autofluoroscope, special radioisotope scanning equipment. (1967)
  • First Intensive Care Nursery in Southern Arizona, and the eighth in the nation. (1967)
  • First Chest Clinic in Tucson. (1967)
  • First in the nation to have an EEG console with a wire-in, all channel common electrode reference circuit. (1967)
  • First in Arizona to use fluorescent lights to treat jaundice in newborns. (1967)
  • First in Tucson to have a certified record librarian as chief medical record librarian. (1968)
  • First Coronary Care Unit in Southern Arizona. (1968)
  • First in the nation with a baby who survived a one-pound birth weight. (1968)