- We are on duty 24 hours a day at the city's most-visited Emergency Department.
- We offer the region's first 24/7 Pediatric Emergency Department, with specialized care for young patients.
- We treat more heart and stroke patients than any other area hospital.
- We are the most popular choice for families as the place to experience the birth of a new baby.
- We have all private rooms in TMC for Children and Maternity.
- We offer a full range of pediatric care, serving as Southern Arizona's member of the Children's Miracle Network.
Tucson Medical Center traces its roots to the world-famous tuberculosis center, the Desert Sanatorium, which opened in 1927. The sanatorium's owners donated the facility to the people of Tucson during World War II, and TMC was established as a community, nonprofit hospital in 1943.
A distinguishing feature of TMC over the years has been its buildings and grounds spread over 120 acres. Every TMC patient has a private room with a view, either a sun-drenched patio or a vista of mountains and distant horizons. TMC's desert landscaped grounds also serve as home to the Tucson Orthopaedic Institute, Palo Verde Behavioral Health Serivces, the Cancer Care Center of Southern Arizona, HealthSouth Rehabilitation Institute of Tucson, Encore Senior Village, and the Children's Clinics for Rehabilitative Services, a private nonprofit corporation, affiliated with TMC and University of Arizona Medical Center.
Tucson Medical Center is a tobacco-free organization and is committed to promoting good health, wellness and disease prevention for our patients, the community and our employees. For this reason, we have implemented a tobacco-free campus and prohibit the use of smoking and tobacco products on all of our TMC campuses, offsite offices and outpatient centers.
TMC is licensed for 607 adult, pediatric and hospice beds. The hospital serves more than 30,000 inpatients and 122,000 outpatients yearly and has several emphasis areas, including maternal and child health, cardiac care, hospice care, neuroscience, orthopedics, diagnostic services and senior services. TMC also created the region's first emergency department dedicated specifically for kids.
The hospital's more than 600 physicians represent 60 specialties, from anesthesiology to vascular surgery. Most of these physicians are board-certified. The physicians work closely with nursing and other hospital staff to ensure that every TMC patient receives quality care.