TMC: 70 Years of Growth
Tucson Medical Center traces its roots to the Desert Sanatorium, a first-class tuberculosis facility that opened in 1927 on 300 acres northeast of Tucson. During World War II, the sanatorium's owners donated the property in response to the community's need for more hospital beds. This remarkable act of philanthropy led to the establishment of TMC as a community nonprofit hospital.
The first patient was admitted on Nov. 9, 1944, and since that time, TMC has become one of the 300 largest hospitals in the United States. TMC's history reflects the changes and challenges in the nation's health care industry. Through it all, the hospital has contributed to the development of Tucson and Southern Arizona by maintaining its focus on providing quality service with a caring touch.