Desert Kids Safety
TMC for Children believes that injury is preventable. Preparing for your child’s safety is an important part of being a parent. Making your child’s environment safe starts with you….and the Desert Kids Safety program is here to help. By providing you with life saving products, we know that Southern Arizona families are better equipped to keep children safe. In partnership with the TMC Foundation, Desert Kids Safety program offers FREE bike helmets, gun locks, smoke detectors and other important home safety products. Access is simple! Call today for an appointment – (520) 324-5604.
In 2009, 82 children died as the result of motor vehicle crashes in Arizona. Sixty percent of these children were not properly restrained. TMC is committed to your child’s safety and offers a variety of car seat program and resources easily accessible to families. Each year TMC loans over 1,200 car seats to families in need. From car seats for our smallest babies to special needs equipped car seats, we can help you. As the lead agency for Safe Kids Tucson TMC has access to over 150 certified Child Passenger Safety Seat Technicians in Southern Arizona who can assist with proper fit and installation.
Recommendations for children of all ages:
- Select a car seat based on your child's age, height, and weight.
- Keep your child in the car seat for as long as possible, as long as your child fits the seat's height and weight requirements.
- All children under 13 should ride in the back seat
- TMC's Car Seat Program
- Tucson Car Seat Fitting Stations
- For a car seat safety presentation, please call (520) 324-1065.
Bike Helmets - FREE at TMC’s Desert Kids Safety Program (520) 324-5604
Your child should always wear a helmet. About 800 people in the United States are killed in bicycle accidents each year, most of them from head injuries. A child is four times more likely to be seriously injured in a bicycle crash than to be kidnapped by a stranger. Parents should set the example for all children by wearing an approved helmet every time they ride a bike. Always be "head smart" and never allow your child to ride without a helmet.
- Bike helmets for children, toddler through teens, are available at TMC's Desert Kids Safety program (520) 324-5604.
- Fitting information is available to ensure your child's helmet has the correct fit and adjustments.
Gun Locks - FREE at TMC’s Desert Kids Safety Program (520) 324-5604
Although most parents practice good safety behaviors such as using car seats and keeping poisons out of the reach of children, a 2000 study published in the American Journal of Public Health shows that about 35% of children in the United States live in homes that have at least one handgun or firearm.
- 43% of households with children have at least one firearm that is not stored in a locked location and does not have a trigger lock (or similar device) in place.
- 9 % have one or more firearms stored unlocked and loaded.
- 4 % store firearms unlocked, unloaded and with ammunition.
What does this mean to you?
- Children who live in households with guns are at greater risk for unintentional firearm injuries. The best way to keep your child safe is to remove all guns from your home.
- If you do decide to keep a gun in your home, store it unloaded in a locked place away from children. Store the ammunition separately from the gun in a locked container, and store the keys in a safe spot.
For further information and education, call (520) 324-5604.
Tucson Medical Center
- Wound Care
- Women's Services